In early July we heard the first reports of sick pets believed to be related to Diamond Naturals Pet Food. Since, there have been reports of more sick pets believed to be connected with two other Diamond manufactured foods. Is there a serious problem at Diamond?
Although Diamond Pet Foods told me in early July one pet owners sick cats (one died) could be caused from a multitude of issues other than pet food, more suspicious reports are coming in all related to Diamond made pet foods. (link to original story: https://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/397/1/Pet-Food-Suspicion-Overkill/Page1.html)
After the early July death of a cat in Indiana believed to be related to pet food (this belief confirmed by the treating veterinarian), I next heard from a pet owner in Alaska whose cat became ill while eating another Diamond manufactured food (Taste of the Wild). Although her veterinarian could not (or would not) confirm the illness was related to the food, the cat’s health improved immediately after changing foods. Following this incident, I heard from a pet store owner in Bethel Park, IL who stocked yet another Diamond manufactured food (Chicken Soup for the Soul); his store received several complaints of skin rashes and diarrhea from pets consuming this food. Yet one more pet owner in North Carolina related similar issues and an “unusual smell” from canned Chicken Soup Dog Food.
Bob and Kathie Brehon own Brehon’s Pet Supply Warehouse in Behel Park, PA, the shop reporting ‘issues’ with Chicken Soup dog food. The following is the most recent information from Bob Brehon:
• “After receiving several complaints about skin rashes and diarrhea after feeding Chicken Soup Adult Canned food, I called my distributor to find out how to handle the returns. They are K&W Distributing out of Ohio. Bill the sales manager told me he would contact the Diamond Rep whose name is Nick and get back to me. Shortly after that I received a call from Diamond’s Vet Tech Services and asked to provide them the lot numbers and stuff from the cans and Cases. There seemed to be some confusion about those numbers as they kept asking for me to repeat them several times and then asked if I was sure that they were correct.”
• “The case numbers didn’t match the numbers on the cans, and the Adult Dog numbers are supposed to start with AD and these were A0. Shortly after that the QC (Quality Control) department called and we started all over with the number thing.”
• “I asked both the Vet and the QC guy if there was a problem, and was told NO! But if there is it’s only a limited number of batches!!!“
• “I was asked to hold the cases in case they needed a sample.”
• “Later that day, my K&W sales guy named David, came to the store and he took the numbers off the cases as well, after talking to the field rep for Diamond named Nick, David said we could destroy the cases and anyone who returned the product would be given a full refund.”
• “We’ve contacted all our customers that purchased from this batch and asked them to stop feeding and return the product.”
It has to be stated that NONE of these pet illnesses are confirmed to be linked to pet food. There is no certain evidence to a problem with Diamond manufacturing.
What is certain is that the FDA has visited the treating veterinarian in Indiana and as well visited the shop that sold the Diamond Naturals pet food. What is also certain is Bob and Kathie Brehon of Brehon’s Pet Supply Warehouse was told by the Diamond Rep to destroy the remaining cases of pet food.
Will we ever learn what or if there is a problem at Diamond Pet Foods? Will the FDA step forward and provide pet owners with information? I don’t know. Worse yet, will more pets become sick and possibly die? I hope not. Sadly, we all have to wait for those answers.
Wishing you and your pet(s) the best,
What’s in Your Pet’s Food?
Is your dog or cat eating risk ingredients? Chinese imports? Petsumer Report tells the ‘rest of the story’ on over 2500 cat foods, dog foods, and pet treats. 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee. www.PetsumerReport.com
Have you read Buyer Beware? Click Here
Cooking for pets made easy, Dinner PAWsible
Are you subscribed to Truth About Pet Food Newsletter? Click Here to subscribe
Follow Truth about Pet Food on Twitter
Find Healthy Pet Foods in Your Area Click Here