Skip to main content

Should the Worst Happen

Related News


  1. sharon

    You are awesome Susan. Thank you so much for what you do for pets all over this nation. You are truly making a difference. I can see that difference is resulting in a lot more pressure and a microscope turned toward you. Don’t ever let them get you down, what you are doing is just, and right. You are not only the caped crusader for America’s pets but their winged angel as well. Thank you.

  2. Dianne

    I have lost many pets over the years and I have finally reached the point where I have a necropsy done for all of them. After I had the first done, I realized that I wanted to know for sure what the cause was. Especially, if I had chosen to euthanize. It is very reassuring to know that the decision was the correct one and there truly was nothing more that could have been done. I try to think of how I would feel in a few years, would I regret doing it or not doing it. Would I be wracked by questions of what it if, or take comfort in knowing for certain.

  3. barbara

    Although your post is regarding pet food and treats, should the same process be true of a possible drug causing the death of ones pet? Does someone go through the same steps that you list for a food/treat complaint? Does the FDA have a different website link for drug complaints? At this time there is a heartworm drug that pet parents are convinced caused their pet to die, such as: soon after administering. Many dogs who don’t die have life-long serious problems. The vet is usually unsympathetic and convinced that the drug is OK. Under those circumstances, the person is left feeling hopeless. Please advise. Thanks.

    1. Susan Thixton Author

      Very good question Barbara. The link for FDA is for pet food/treat related illness. The FDA does not have a link for consumers specific to drugs – my guess would be this could either be reported by a veterinarian (here: or by the consumer on the pet food site but to clearly note this is for a drug.

  4. Chris

    Hi Susan, If the vet doesn’t want to do the report, it CAN also be done by the pet owner as described on the link you provided (good job!) (problem being that many pet parents might have difficulty providing the clinical and drug info that would be asked for) either by contacting the manufacturer, or downloading or requesting FDA Form 1932a by mail and mailing it to FDA, or by calling the Center for Veterinary Medicine at the number shown on the link you gave. Making a habit of collecting a copy of the updates to your pet’s medical records as you leave visits (or arranging to return for it the next day if they’re too busy at the time) can make a big difference in an emergency or when trying to report an Adverse Drug Experience or event. Same goes for humans, too. (CA-licensed Pharmacy Technician)

Leave a Reply