A look into the twisted perspective of regulatory authorities. Pet food Salmonella is more important than Goldfish Crackers Salmonella.
From July 1, 2018 to present day (10/26/2018), the following human foods have been recalled for a pathogenic bacteria:
- Working Cow Ice Cream – “Potential Listeria monocytogenes contamination”.
- Bazzini’s Pistachios – “Salmonella“.
- Ladyfingers Country Ham Rolls – “Listeria monocytogenes”.
- Callie’s Charleston Biscuits – “Listeria monocytogenes“.
- Working Cow Homemade Ice Cream – “Listeria monocytogenes“.
- Ukrop’s Biscuits, rolls, salads and subs – “Listeria monocytogenes“.
- Mauna Loa Macadamia Nuts – “E. coli“.
- Gravel Ridge Farms Cage Free Eggs – “Salmonella“.
- Premo Brand Turkey and Cheese Wedge Sandwiches – “Listeria monocytogenes“.
- Premo, Fresh Grab Sandwiches – “Listeria monocytogenes“.
- Associated Milk Producers, Inc. (AMPI) Dry Whey Powder – “Salmonella“.
- Mrs. Freshley’s, Food Lion, Captain John Derst’s Rolls and Bread – “Salmonella“.
- Goldfish Crackers – “Salmonella“.
- Ritz Cracker Sandwiches – “Salmonella“.
- Hy-Vee Spring Pasta Salad – “May be contaminated with Salmonella“.
Have you heard about any of the above recalls?
In the same timeframe – July 1, 2018 to 10/26/2018 – the FDA has recalled the following pet foods for a pathogenic bacteria:
- Performance Dog – “potential to be contaminated with Salmonella”.
- Steve’s Real Food, Quest – “Potential Salmonella and/or L. mono contamination”.
- G & C Raw, Kim’s Special, Pat’s Cat – “Potential Listeria monocytogenes contamination“.
- Rad Cat – “Potential for Listeria monocytogenes”.
- G & C Raw, more – “Potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes“.
- Rad Cat – “Listeria monocytogenes or Shiga Toxin producing E. coli O121”
Of course readers here have heard about the above pet food recalls.
But there is a significant difference in human food pathogenic bacteria recalls than pet food pathogenic bacteria recalls. Massive amounts of media warnings are published about raw pet food, with little to no warnings about all other types of foods recalled for pathogenic bacteria.
Have you seen a FDA warning advising consumers to ‘Get the Facts! Goldfish Crackers can be dangerous to you and your family’?
…I haven’t seen that warning either.
Have you seen the CDC warning ‘CDC does not recommend feeding Goldfish Crackers to your family’?
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) website states in a recent post (October 17, 2018) regarding an investigation into Salmonella contamination of food: “The outbreak strain has been identified in samples taken from raw chicken pet food, raw chicken products, and live chickens.” In “Advice to Consumers and Retailers” the CDC states the agency is NOT advising “that retailers stop selling raw chicken products.“ But the CDC is advising the OPPOSITE for raw pet food; “CDC does not recommend feeding raw diets to pets.” Consumers are capable of handling raw chicken but not raw chicken pet food? Has the CDC lost their minds?
Food Safety News today published a post from microbiologist Phyllis Entis stating (bold added) “According to a spokesperson for FDA, the outbreak strain is likely related to the Salmonella strain recovered from an adult dog that had recurring diarrhea as a result of consuming contaminated raw chicken dog food manufactured by Darwin’s.” Likely related? What’s “likely related”? Sounds like being ‘sort of’ pregnant to me. Phyllis Entis is a microbiologist – she knows better than making a statement like that…so why did she?
What is the deal? We know there is a double standard in pet food, but have they lost the ability to hide their bias or do they just not care anymore?
Can anyone, anywhere – explain why the CDC believes a human can be trusted to wash their hands after handling raw chicken but the same human cannot be trusted to wash their hands after handing a raw chicken pet food? Do they think the risk is in the pet poop? Do they think we don’t wash our hands after cleaning a litter box or picking up in the back yard?
Can anyone explain why FDA has issued multiple warnings to pet owners against feeding raw pet food when millions more pounds of kibble pet food has been recalled for the exact same pathogenic bacteria and FDA has made not a peep about a kibble warning? Do they think we are that stupid?
Can anyone explain why these people believe raw pet food is more of a risk than Goldfish crackers or any other food recalled for pathogenic bacteria?
If they can’t explain…we can’t help but think it is an outright attack on raw pet food. Their clear focus of destroying raw pet food makes me wonder how many other pet food issues are they ignoring? It’s frightening to consider.
Wishing you and your pet(s) the best,
Become a member of our pet food consumer Association. Association for Truth in Pet Food is a a stakeholder organization representing the voice of pet food consumers at AAFCO and with FDA. Your membership helps representatives attend meetings and voice consumer concerns with regulatory authorities. Click Here to learn more.
What’s in Your Pet’s Food?
Is your dog or cat eating risk ingredients? Chinese imports? Petsumer Report tells the ‘rest of the story’ on over 5,000 cat foods, dog foods, and pet treats. 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee. Click Here to preview Petsumer Report. www.PetsumerReport.com
The 2018 List
Susan’s List of trusted pet foods. Click Here to learn more.
Have you read Buyer Beware? Click Here
Cooking pet food made easy, Dinner PAWsible
Find Healthy Pet Foods in Your Area Click Here