What is Your Opinion? Enjoy-a-Bowl
ABC Television’s Funderdome finale featured two pet products hoping to win $50,000.00 funding for their business. A pet food bowl that allows pets to smell real food but not eat real food won. Would you buy it?
It’s called “Enjoy-a-Bowl”. The product sells for $24.99 on Amazon. “Enjoy-a-Bowl” is a pet food bowl that hides human food in the bottom section – inaccessible to the pet – while placing kibble on top. Allowing the pet to smell real food, but not allow them to eat the real food.
Picture of the product from Amazon.com:
Video “Quick Start Guide” from YouTube.com:
“Enjoy-A-Bowl” was developed by veterinarian Dr. Joe J. Owens.
What do you think? Approve of Enjoy-A-Bowl or not?
The Enjoy-A-Bowl website discourages pet owners from feeding real food to their pets and gives some misinformation to pet owners. Stating in the Q&A section:
Q. My pet loves human food. Why shouldn’t he share my food?Dr. Owens Answers:
Most human food is bad for your pet. Some is downright dangerous. Common flavorings in something like pizza or even baby food (onions and garlic) can destroy a pet’s red blood cells, leading to anemia. Skip the doggie bag when you’re out to eat. Meat fat and bones – both cooked and uncooked – can cause pancreatitis. And, although it seems natural to give your dog a bone, they can splinter and cause obstructions or lacerations.
- Salt. It’s everywhere in human food. It’s bad for your pet and can cause depression, tremors, and seizures or even death.
- Sugar. Bad for you, bad for your pet for the same reasons: dental problems and diabetes.
- Raw Meat and Fish – just like raw eggs are bad for your pet. They can contain bacteria that causes food poisoning. Certain kinds of fish (salmon, trout, shad, or sturgeon) can contain a parasite that can be fatal within two weeks.
- Caffeine – found in chocolate, colas and more can be fatal and there is no antidote. Chocolate also contains theobromine – and yes that includes white chocolate, unsweetened baking chocolate, and any other kind of chocolate.
- Grapes and Raisins can cause kidney failure.
- Ice Cream and other dairy products can cause diarrhea and other digestive upsets.
- Nuts – especially macadamia nuts can be fatal. As few as 6 nuts can kill your pet.
- Alcohol – Some people think it’s “cute” to give their pets alcohol. Beer, liquor, wine, foods containing alcohol — none of it’s good. That’s because alcohol has the same effect on a dog’s liver and brain that it has on humans. But it takes far less to do its damage. Just a little can cause vomiting, diarrhea, central nervous system depression, problems with coordination, difficulty breathing, coma, even death. And the smaller the dog, the greater the effect.
Sorry Dr. Owens, many will have to disagree with you. Most human foods are not bad for pets. Yes, some are dangerous and you do mention those but – raw meat, raw eggs (or cooked meat/eggs) and raw bones are not “bad for your pet”. There’s a few holistic veterinarians you need to meet (and learn from).
My opinion of the bowl…if a pet owner wants their pet to hate them, Enjoy-A-Bowl seems like the perfect way to accomplish that. Personally I would never use this product, I would never taunt my pets in such a manner. I give my pets real food, only real food – every day, every meal.
If the pet doesn’t want the food – perhaps there is a reason why. Perhaps the pet smells a rancid fat or inferior meat protein. To disguise a pet’s dislike of the pet feed with the smell of real food is (opinion) cruel and could result in a bigger health problem. A big ‘No’ from me.
Thanks to Renee M. for posting this product on Facebook.
Wishing you and your pet(s) the best,
What’s in Your Pet’s Food?
Is your dog or cat eating risk ingredients? Chinese imports? Petsumer Report tells the ‘rest of the story’ on over 4,000 cat foods, dog foods, and pet treats. 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee. Click Here to preview Petsumer Report. www.PetsumerReport.com
The 2017 List
Susan’s List of trusted pet foods. Click Here
Have you read Buyer Beware? Click Here
Cooking pet food made easy, Dinner PAWsible
Find Healthy Pet Foods in Your Area Click Here